Senior Software Engineer
Chipper is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a small passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
- As an engineer at a fast-growing early-stage company, you will have the opportunity to create massive impact - on the company, on the product, and, most importantly, on the lives and livelihoods of our users.
- We are a small team. You will be encouraged to engage in high-level technical decision making, and there will be leadership roles available to early hires as the company continues to expand.
- Enjoy working from home? Coffee-shops? Co-working spaces? Pick any of the above! Our team is fully remote.
- We have an engineering team culture centered on open-communication, honest feedback, and personal responsibility. You will not be micromanaged.
- Our codebases are clean, performant, and well tested. We believe that the best solution is often the simplest, that writing good tests saves time and effort in the long run, and that code should be written with a focus on readability.
- The Chipper team is truly global - on a daily basis, you might be interacting with team members in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Accra, Lagos, and Nairobi.
We don’t care very much about checking boxes, such as “X years of experience” or “Familiarity with X framework” to show that you’re qualified for this role. We’re looking for talented, passionate engineers, who enjoy writing clean, well structured, and well tested code. An ideal team member will be self-driven, will enjoy owning their own projects, and will be able to constructively communicate with the rest of the team in order to brainstorm, disambiguate project specifications, and to give (and receive) feedback on everything from coding style to high level architecture and design. Most importantly, we’re looking for engineers who love learning.
What You’ll Work On
We don’t tend to define rigid roles for engineers within our team - the projects that you work on will largely be driven by your own areas of interest. Here are some examples of roles that you might fill on the team:
- Build out beautiful user interfaces and experiences within the Chipper Cash mobile application, working closely with UX designers and researchers to make the app silky smooth and easy to use - even for users who might be using a smartphone for the first time!
- Implement new features across the full stack, delivering massive impact by iterating rapidly on the frontend and backend and delivering critical new functionality to the end user.
- Architect new services and functionality on the backend, utilizing cutting edge technologies such as high-throughput messaging queues to build out performant, fault-tolerant systems with a focus on elegance and simplicity.
- Comb through tens of millions of data points, discovering new insights and building advanced algorithms (incorporating machine learning techniques) to solve tough issues such as fraud detection and identity verification.
Our Tech Stack
The more familiarity you have with our tech stack, the better! That being said, familiarity with our stack is not a requirement - if you’re an excellent engineer, we don’t think you’ll have any trouble ramping up on any of these technologies that you’re less familiar with. The technologies that we use include, but are not limited to:
- React Native
- Python + Jupyter Notebooks
If you’re interested, or you’d like to learn more, please send an email to [email protected], containing:
- A brief (1-3 sentence) introduction to yourself
- Up-to-date resume
- Github & LinkedIn profile links
- Any other information or links that we might find useful, such as a professional portfolio, or a side-project that you’re particularly proud of
We have very, very high standards for who we hire. We will be sure to send a response to all submissions with a decision on whether or not we will be moving forward, and we just ask that you please do not take personal offense if you are not chosen to continue with the interview process.